Robust Scrum Master
About This Course
“Michael’s passion and enthusiasm for Agile practices is evident both in the way that he presents his material and the subject matter itself.” – Jamie Phillips, Consulting Software Engineer, Picis
Are you a Scrum Master? Are you not sure how to facilitate the key Scrum meetings? Do you want to learn how to collaborate with managers? Do you want to learn how to communicate through conflict? Then this course is for you!
This course is the fastest path you can take to ‘level up’ your Scrum Master skills.
This course is for people who have taken a one to three day course on Scrum (or have equivalent experience) and want to ‘raise the bar’ on their skills. Introductory Scrum courses tell you ‘what’ you need to do but not ‘how’ to do it. This course shows you, through detailed examples and checklists, ‘how’ to be a Scrum Master.
In this course, you will learn:
- The mindset of successful Scrum Masters. You will learn how your mindset influences your actions and how to construct an effective mindset.
- How to create your daily, weekly, and monthly rhythms. What do you need to do every day as a Scrum Master? What do you need to do every week and every month?
- The ABC technique: How to build relationships with key people in your organization to increase the success of your Scrum teams.
- EXACTLY how to facilitate the planning, review, and retrospective meetings. When you become an effective facilitator, you will radically improve your team’s cohesion and velocity.
- A way to communicate through conflict. Learn how to break down every difficult conversation into four steps.
- How to collaborate with managers on Scrum. You will learn what managers care about and how they think about Scrum. You will learn how to set up and launch an Enterprise Agile Team.
- The characteristics of a servant leader and how to increase your ability to serve the team.
You will get tools and checklists that take the STRESS out of being a Scrum Master.
In addition to the course material, you will receive two one-on-one 25 minute coaching sessions with me. I will share with you what I’ve learned training and consulting at Carbonite, edX, Paypal, Symantec, Philips, Verizon, and a dozen other companies. You will also be invited to a group monthly coaching call. In addition, you’ll be able to ask questions at any time using the questions area of the course. This is like having a PERSONAL TUTOR as you ‘level up’ your Scrum Master skills.
Who am I? I am the co-author of Professional Scrum with Team Foundation Server, author of “Your Brain on Scrum” (http://www.infoq.com/articles/brain-scrum-maza), former VP of Corporate Strategy at Softricity, founder of Inquira (acquired by Oracle), and a PhD in Computer Science from MIT.
I am here to pump you up as you deepen your understanding of Scrum and improve your Scrum Master skills!
The course is designed to be taken over eight weeks. If you follow this plan, you will spend approximately half an hour per day on the course. The first one or two days of every week will focus on videos and during the remainder of the week you will be doing assignments.
Warning: This course is HARD. I like to say, “Practice in proportion to your aspirations.” If you are ready to sweat blood to become a better Scrum Master, I invite you to look at Section 3 of the course to see if this course is a good fit for you.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me at email@example.com or 617 575 9707.
What are the requirements?
- A one to three day Scrum course (or equivalent experience).
- A willingness to spend the time needed to complete the homework assignments.
What am I going to get from this course?
- Two one-on-one 25 minute coaching calls included! (Value: $150)
- Over 20 homework assignments
- Monthly coaching call
- You will get tools and checklists that take the stress out of being a Scrum Master
- You will learn the mindset of highly successful Scrum Masters
- You will learn how to set your daily, weekly, and monthly rhythm
- You will learn EXACTLY how to facilitate the planning, review, and retrospective meetings
- You will learn how to collaborate with managers
- You will learn a way to communicate through conflict
- You will learn the characteristics of a servant leader
What is the target audience?
- This course is for people who have taken a one to three day course on Scrum or have equivalent experience
- “Practice in proportion to your aspirations.” This course is HARD. If you are planning on kicking back while watching videos, this course is not for you!
|Section 1: Overview and Scrum Refresher|
Three Scrum Roles
Five Scrum Events
Three Scrum Artifacts
The Agile Manifesto
Sprint Planning Checklist
Daily Stand Up Checklist
Sprint Review Checklist
Sprint Retrospective Checklist
Product Owner Checklist
Scrum Master Checklist
Course Check In
|Section 2: Mindset and Heartset|
Nonpredictive Decision Making
|Section 3: Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Rhythms|
Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Rhythms
The ABC Team Habit
Self-Appreciation / Gratitude Habit
|Section 4: Facilitation Part 1: Facilitating the Planning and Retrospective Events|
Planning Meeting Facilitation
Retrospective Meeting Facilitation
|Section 5: Facilitation Part II: Facilitating the Review Meeting and Team Agreement Creation|
Review Meeting Facilitation
Agreement Meeting Facilitation
|Section 6: Peaceful Communication|
Peaceful Communication Introduction
Observations Feelings Needs Requests
|Section 7: Collaborating with Managers|
Working with Managers
Creating the Enterprise Agile Team
|Section 8: Servant Leadership|
Servant Leader Characteristics
Servant Leader Check In
|Section 9: Summary|
End of Course Survey
End of Course Quiz
|Section 10: Bonus Material|
Agile Transitions: The Thrill of Victory and the Agony of Defeat
Your Brain on Scrum
Michael de la Maza, Lean/Agile Coach
* Scrum Alliance Certified Enterprise Coach (CEC). As of June 1, 2016 there are fewer than 100 CECs in the world.
* MIT PhD in Computer Science
* Co-author of Professional Scrum with TFS and Why Agile Works
* Cofounder of Inquira, acquired by Oracle
* VP of Corporate Strategy at Softricity, acquired by Microsoft
* Agile/lean coach and trainer at edX, Carbonite, EMC, Intuit, Philips, Wells Fargo, Verizon, State Street and many others
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All level
- Language English
- Students 717
- Assessments Self