How To Make A Magazine – Create an Apple Newsstand Magazine
About This Course
You can now join 200+ digital publishers in this course showing you step by step how to publish a magazine on the Apple iOS Newsstand.
Great changes are happening in the digital publishing world. People are changing their reading habits; they are consuming information in different ways and when it comes to magazines, readers want the latest issues delivered instantly to their digital devices. They also want a wider choice and realize they can access magazines from around the globe, instantly.
These changes are just the beginning of a new world in publishing, content creation and distribution, and this course will ensure you are in the right place to be at the forefront with publishing to mobile devices and tablets.
Digital Publishing Made Easy
This digital magazine publishing course is a one of a kind complete step by step solution for companies or individuals who want to publish their own magazines on the Apple Newsstand.
This course makes it a simple process to take an existing magazine and produce a complete digital magazine that can be downloaded from the Apple iTunes Newsstand.
All you need to get started is a PDF of your magazine. You can then follow the course videos to turn your PDF’s into digital magazines. If you can create MS Word, MS Powerpoint, Pages or Keynote files…. you can save those as PDF files and get started right away.
The creation process has been broken down into simple steps so that anyone can follow the video tutorials, download the template app and produce a magazine within in less than a day.
Once you have a place to store your digital files online (Website, Amazon S3 account etc..) there is ZERO cost going forward. Everything you need is free! A stark contrast to services like PageSuite, Magcast, Mag+ and Adobe Digital Publishing Suite.
Let’s answer a few Digital Magazine questions …
I am not a Magazine Publisher. Can I benefit from this course?
- The playing fields have been levelled. No longer do you need to have an existing magazine and a mountain of cash to develop a magazine and get it published. If you have a website, Blog or produce a newsletter… in fact, if you publish just about any content at all you can build your own magazine and get it published on iPhones and iPads.
- Take a look on the newsstand right now and you will see there are new magazines focused on the tiniest of niches that are gaining huge readership numbers. You can do the same.
Does This Mean I Have To Create Lots Of Content?
- No! A great feature of making a digital magazine is that there are no limitations on what you can publish. Forget duplicate content penalties! You can repurpose all of your own existing material in you magazine(s).
- Think about it… Your magazine sits behing Apple’s iTune store… You are not producing a website here, you are producing a magazine. You can publish what ever you like.
Why would I want to publish a magazine on the iPad or iPhone?
- You no doubt know that being able to write and publish a digital book (think Kindle) is a fantastic way to help boost your own credibility and establish yourself as a leader in your field. Well what do you think owning a magazine will do?
- You build yourself a platform from which you can not only reach your audience on a regular basis (Daily, Weekly or Monthly) but also have the opportunity to bring in other experts to produce content for you.
Who controls the magazine?
- One of the beauties of publishing a magazine using the processes highlight in this course will mean you own the complete end to end solution.
- There are many digital magazine solutions out there for you to choose from, but what they don’t tell you is that once you start using their platform, you are stuck with them going forward and they often take a cut of you magazine profits. Not to mention the ongoing high fees they charge.
- This course leave you in full control of your own digital magazine solution. You own it and you get to keep 100%% of the income.
Do I need to purchase any software to create the Digital Magazine?
- Absolutely not. There are some costs involved but these are for things like joining the Apple Developer Program ($99 per year – everyone has to do this to be able to sell app’s and magazines on iTunes) and hosting you magazine files online (from as little as $3 per month).
- This course will show you step by step how to use existing software tools that nearly everyone already own to create the Newsstand files.
- One of the key goals when creating this course was to make sure you don’t have to spend any money on software tools to get started.
Do I have to have any programming experience?
- Absolutely not. All you need is to produce a PDF. From there just follow along with the video instructions.
Can I ask for Support?
- Most definitely. You can ask as many questions as you wish and Pete will answer.
Do I need a Mac to do the course?
- Ideally yes, but it is not absolutely necessarily. The course also includes a section on how you can rent a virtual Mac online for just a few dollars.
Can I add interactivity to the magazine?
- How to design your magazine so it fit perfectly on the iPad.
- How to structure your magazine pages to take advantage of the Barker Framework magazine Index navigation functionality.
- How to make simple tweak to your pages for dramatic effects.
- How to store your magazine issues online for easy downline by your magazine app.
- How easy it is for you to add as many back issues of your magazine as you wish.
- Fast magazine creation techniques and what pitfalls to look out for.
- The easy way to create you apps on iTunesConnect.
- How to setup free magazine subscriptions.
- Important testing techniques to makes sure you magazine looks awesome on the iPad before releasing it live.
- How to track down bugs and test out changes super super fast.
- The various Baker Framework configurations options to make you magazines work in lanscape and portrait modes.
- Learn how to turn on page zooming
- As a special bonus, you will get access to Pete’s very own magazine issue creation software that lets you create your magazine issues in under 2 minute! Saving hours and hours of time. This app is currently in development and will be release as soon as the final bugs are ironed out. If you want a pre-release, just ask once you have signed up!
- Once enough people are on-board, you will get access to a special Publishers online community where you can share ideas, tricks and techniques to make the most out of you magazines.
So what are you waiting for?
If you have any questions you need answered before signing-up, send Pete a message here on Udemy or on facebook – I want you to feel 100%% confident in this course so you are assured that you will get the best results you can get.
I look forward to seeing you inside the course. Get Started Today!
What are the requirements?
- Access to a Mac Computer
What am I going to get from this course?
- Teach you how to create a Digital Magazine and publish it on the iTunes Newsstand
- Keep your publishing costs down to almost ZERO
- Learn how to publish new magazine issues really fast
- Master the app creation and publication process to help you grow and expand your business
- Learn how you can make each issue of you magazine, look and behave differently from the rest
- Learn the In’s & Out’s of creating apps on iTunesConnect
- Create and understand provisioning profiles
- Learn how to test, debug and tweak your magazine issues prior publishing them live
What is the target audience?
- Online Business Owners
- Small & Large Business Owners
- Professionals looking to make a name for themselves
- Non-Profit / Social enterprises
- App Developers
- App Publishers
|Section 1: Introduction To The Course|
|Section 2: Designing A Digital Magazine|
The Structure Of A HPub Document – Your Magazine Issue
iPad Dimensions and Design Considerations
Tools To Create Our Magazine Content
Generating Our Magazine PDF and Images
|Section 3: Package Your Magazine Issue|
Generating Our Magazine Pages HTML Files
Generating Our Magazine CSS File
Creating Our Own book.json file
Create the index.html file
File Hosting – Must Have!
|Section 4: Hosting Your Magazines Digital Files|
Uploading Our HPUB Document To The Webserver
Create the shelf.json file
Add The Issue Image File Referenced In The shelf.json File
|Section 5: Create & Configure Your iOS Magazine App|
Prerequisites For Creating An iPad Magazine App
First Look At The Magazine App In xCode
iOS Developer Center – Creating Certificates and Provisioning Profiles
iOS Developer Center – Adding Testing Devices and Creating An APP ID
iOS Developer Center – Creating Development & Distribution Profiles
|Section 6: Testing You Magazine App|
Testing The Magazine App On Your iOS Device
Setup And Configure Your Magazine App in iTunesConnect
Setup a Free Subscription In-App Purchase in iTunesConnect
Test Our Own Magazine
Testing the Free Subscription
|Section 7: Customising the Magazine App|
Adding Your Own Magazine App Icons
Changing The Style Of The Magazine Shelf
Changing The Localisation Settings For Different Languages & Customised Text
Customising The Index.html File
Customising The Index.html File – Making It Appear On The Left Hand Side
Setting Portrait Only, Enhancing the BOOK.JSON file & Debugging
How To Reskin The iOS App – Changing The Baker Shelf Graphics
Adding New Magazine Issues To The Shelf
|Section 8: Publish Your Magazine App To The iTunes Store|
Download The Exact Files I Used When Creating The Pubzie Magazine
Creating a Brand New Magazine – PUBZIE
Setup The Magazine in iTunes Connect – PUBZIE
Upload The Newsstand App To Apple
|Section 9: On The Newsstand & Course Wrap-up|
View The Magazine on iTunes and Your iPad
|Section 10: EXTRAS – Popular Questions Answered|
How can I add links and embed videos into my magazine?
Peter Moxon, Head Trainer at Sap Training HQ
SAP consultant and the #1 SAP instructor on Udemy.
I hope you find my courses interesting and I really hope you enjoy them.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All level
- Language English
- Students 745
- Assessments Self