How to double your royalties – get your eBook into print
About This Course
LATEST: Guarantee – if you struggle to format your book, I will do it for you and show you how I did it. For less than the price of paying a professional formatter to do one book for you, you can join this course and learn how to format all your books.
Join over 600 authors on this course. Learn quickly, get your books in print, and your royalties could be double NEXT MONTH.
I am available for advice and support every step of the way. If you get stuck, holler!
Double your royalties – really?
I did. Well, actually, I more than doubled them. My print sales have overtaken my digital sales on some books. I was shocked – until I published this course and students reported that they were making more money – either by the presence of their print book stimulating sales of their Kindle book (because the print book looks inexpensive in comparison), or by great print sales.
You too can make more money from your Kindle books by getting them into print via CreateSpace. A print book can increase your royalties both by making sales itself and by increasing your Kindle sales due to the cost comparison.
Sales of eBooks have overtaken sales of paperback and hardback books combined. However, that doesn’t mean that physical books don’t sell anymore – they do. Amazon sell 118 eBooks for every 100 physical books. That’s still a lot of physical books being sold! It depends on your genre, but many authors report that their print sales actually overtake their digital sales in December and August – holiday periods. We all seem to prefer real books on the beach and for use as gifts!
There’s a lot less competition in the physical book arena as most of the Internet Marketers stick to Kindle books. Kindle eBooks are quick and easy to publish – formatting for paperback takes a bit more time. It’swell worth it, though.
Having a paperback version of your eBook can help increase your royalties for a number of reasons.
- More Kindle sales – Your eBook sales can increase because the cost of the paperback is generally more, making the eBook look much better value
- A new source of royalties – You may find that you make a good number of paperback sales. People still like physical books. They are much better for reading in the bath! I recently had an illness that prevented me from looking at a screen (it hurt). It made me put away my Kindle for the first time in months and dig out a load of paperbacks. There are lots of people who prefer physical books, for various reasons.
- Increased credibility – Fewer Indie authors take the plunge into print so you will be part of a more select group. That raises your credibility and could lead to more opportunities, such as guest blogging, interviews on podcasts, etc.
- You need a physical book to schedule a Goodreads Giveaway. If you haven’t heard of Goodreads, you might want to check it out, it’s where passionate readers hang out. Giveaways are mini competitions that members enter to try to win free books. Even if you can only afford to buy one paperback version of your book, you can schedule a Giveaway and offer that. The beauty of them is that they attract an average of 825 entries each. That’s 825 people seeing your book who may not otherwise have come across it – and all their Goodreads friends (and possibly their Facebook) will see it in their update feeds. That’s how viral popularity starts. It worked for E.L. James with ’50 Shades of Grey’; it worked for Ally Condie with ‘Matched’; it could work for you too.
However, many authors confess to finding the formatting of their manuscript to CreateSpace’s standards to be difficult. Who has the time to spend hours learning, fiddling, tweaking, proofing, and submitting?
This course can save you days and days of fumbling around trying to discover the best ways of formatting your manuscript yourself. It will enable you – once you have completed the course – to get a book into CreateSpace-ready format in around an hour. If you struggle at any point, I will do it for you and show you exactly what I did to get it right.
The course is packed with information, practical steps and activities, as well as tons of bonuses, such as PDF downloads and checklists to guide you along the way. It won’t take you more than an hour or two to complete and the benefits will be with you forever. You can pick and mix to just study the bits you need, if you already know how to do the formatting but want to learn how to produce books that are professional enough to stand side-by-side with traditionally-published books.
The course has a full guarantee and will be accessible whenever you need to check back, in case you forget something. I will also keep it up-to-date and add new resources as time goes on.
You are welcome to ask questions, I’ll support you all I can. You can find me on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter if I don’t respond quickly enough on Udemy! (They don’t always send out announcements about new questions.)
NOTE: This course is currently mostly suitable for Windows users (due to the demise of my Mac!).
What are the requirements?
- A computer running Microsoft Word or equivalent
- Internet access
- A Windows computer
What am I going to get from this course?
- To increase your royalties by earning through print sales and increasing your Kindle sales due to the cost comparison with your print book
- In this course you will learn how to format your manuscript to CreateSpace’s standards
- You will learn additional formatting tips that will make your finished book look very professional
- You will learn how to format your book’s cover to CreateSpace’s standards
- If you have your books formatted by other people, this course will enable you to check them and make alterations without messing up the formatting, line spacing, table of contents, etc.
- At the end of the course you will be able to produce a beautifully formatted, professional-looking book that can be live on Amazon (and linked to your Kindle version if you have one) within a week.
- Having your book in paperback can mean increased royalties – both from the paperback itself, and from increased Kindle sales as the Kindle version will be cheaper than the paperback and seem like a bargain!
What is the target audience?
- Udemy instructors who want to turn their course into a book
- Anyone who wants to publish a book
- Kindle authors
- Kobo authors
|Section 1: Introduction and First Steps|
Introduction to the course
Introduction to your host
First Steps – What You Need To Publish On CreateSpace
|Section 2: Signing Up And Finding Your Way Around CreateSpace|
Signing up with CreateSpace and navigating the site
|Section 3: Formatting Your Manuscript|
Introduction to formatting – Anatomy of a CreateSpace template
Download A CreateSpace Template
Looking At How The 6″x9″ Template Is Set Up
Setting The Margins
Setting The Page Size
Altering The Section & Header/Footer Setup
More on page numbers, headers & footers
ACTION STEP: Make your own template
Introduction To Making It Beautiful
A Neat Trick To Make Your Book Look Professionally-Published
Serif or Sans Serif?
Where To Find Fonts
Making It Beautiful – Drop Caps
Making It Beautiful – Glyphs
About Image Quality – Those Dreaded 300dpis!
|Section 4: Adding Your Cover|
Uploading A Print-Ready PDF Cover
Using The CreateSpace Cover Creator
Using CreateSpace’s Cover Design Team
Finding A Designer
Calculate Book Jacket Dimensions
|Section 5: Uploading To CreateSpace|
The Interior Reviewer
|Section 6: Reviewing|
|Section 7: Creating Boxed Sets Of Your Books|
Introduction to creating boxed sets
How to create multiple TOCs in one document
|Section 8: FAQ|
FAQ – Royalties and Taxes
FAQ – Ordering Copies
FAQ – More on headers, footers & page numbering
Question about how to layout blank pages in a specialist book
|Section 9: Industry Insight|
Interview with Phil Ebiner, creator of ‘Design Your Own eBook Cover’ course
|Section 10: BONUSES – Templates, Book Anatomies, Getting Your Book Into Bookstores|
Getting Your Book Into Bookstores
Anatomy of a book : Eric Ives’s ‘Anne Boleyn’
Template – Historical Novel
Template – In The Style Of A Popular Technical Manual
*NEW* Template – In The Style Of A Non-Fiction Book 1
*NEW* Template – In The Style Of A Non-Fiction Book 2 (A 4-Hour Book!)
Formatting A Novel – Part I
Formatting A Novel – Part II
|Section 11: Wrap-Up|
|Section 12: New & Newsworthy|
Expanded Distribution Is Now Free
New Cover Finish Choices
CreateSpace new initiative
Bonus marketing tutorial – use Haiku Deck & SlideShare to get email signups
Michelle Campbell-Scott, Bestselling author & premium instructor on Udemy
Author of the bestselling books, ‘Goodreads for Authors’, ‘Make Your Book Work Harder’, and ‘The 10-Day Skin Brushing Detox’. She is a former teacher & trainer, chicken keeper, and field archer.
She started her career in Public Relations then, while her children were growing, she did any work she could get that allowed her to be at home with them. That included: writing, course creation, editing, book indexing, book formatting, document and presentation production, and more.
After becoming a teacher and then an IT trainer, she still freelanced, writing and creating courses for others – before eventually taking the plunge and creating her own books and courses.
She writes as Michelle Campbell-Scott, specializing in publishing and marketing; Mia Campbell, specializing in health (including ‘Inversion Therapy’ & ‘The 10-Day Skin Brushing Detox’), and Michelle Booth, specializing in hobbies and children’s fiction.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All level
- Language English
- Students 807
- Assessments Self